COLDER WEATHER STAY
Green Lake doesn't shut down for 6 months, there is still so much to see and do. Whether it's outdoor fun or staying toasty warm inside, check out all of these possibilities
* Cross country skiing or a sleigh ride through the woods nearby at Mecan River Outfitters
* Ice skating at Deacon Mills Park with a warming house and free use of skates
* Bring your sled, over 150 miles of snowmobile trails are an easy access
* Ice fishing with Mike Norton guide service will set you up from ice shanty to tip-ups to bait
* White River Marsh State Wildlife Area is an excellent place to look and listen for a wide variety of birds. Sunnyside Conservancy, Winnebago Trail and Norwegian Bay boardwalk are nearby locations where ducks, swans, and grebes often gather and the majestic bald eagle is frequently spotted along the lakeshore.
* Hiking trails vary in length and difficulty, here is a link with descriptions. http://mcconnellinn.com/pdf/BikingHikingGreenLake.pdf
* Check out our Concert packages with Thrasher Opera House
* Choose a room with a fireplace or Jacuzzi, pick a book or game from our shelves and settle in to relax and refresh
* Take a food and beverage tour – Willow Creek Cheese Factory, Vines and Rushes Winery and Knuth's Brewing Co.
* For the ultimate in relaxation, Green Lake Spa, 2 independent therapists are just 1.5 blocks from McConnell Inn, advance appointment required.
* Discover the antique malls and shops in Princeton, Ripon and Berlin
* Caestecker Library, just 4 blocks from the inn, offers a variety of programs and events throughout the year, plus they have a cozy fireplace for quiet reading time* The Amish communities of Dalton and Kingston offer bakeries, cheese shops, grocery stores, furniture shops, and idealic scenes of horse and buggy http://www.visitgreenlake.com/things-to-do/attractions/
Day 1 – Enjoy a Park
After checking-in at the McConnell Inn, leave your car at the curb and walk to one of the many parks in our lovely community. A good stretch of the legs for the afternoon seems just right, and in any direction you can enjoy views of the water. Then a stop at one of the nearby ice cream parlors or coffee shops and a rest at the wharf at Deacon Mills Park. We have a selection of menus from area restaurants and will be happy to help with suggestions or reservations each evening.
Day 2 – Get on the Water
After a full breakfast, explore the lake by renting a pontoon boat for half the day where you can enjoy fishing on Green Lake, swimming, or a leisurely cruise around the 28-mile circumference of beautiful Green Lake. If catching your limit is your goal, you may wish to go with one of the local fishing guides who will show you the best spots and the right bait. As the day draws to a close, you might enjoy a Concert in the Park or entertainment at Thrasher Opera House.
Day 3 – Bike Day
Of course you will begin your day with another hearty breakfast at McConnell Inn in preparation for a day of activity. Biking is always a draw, and we are happy to store your bikes in our garage for the night. Biking options are diverse, whether it is the 27-mile Loop the Lake which is a paved route with both non-motorized paths and low-traffic roads, 11-mile Mascoutin Trail a crushed limestone base on an old railroad bed, or several mountain bike trails for the more adventurous. You might choose to bike the city path to the Green Lake Conference Center which has over 1,000 acres and miles of paved roads and beautiful scenery. Check out the Green Lake bike map for all trail options. Stop for a late lunch and rest before heading back to the McConnell Inn. Once back at home base, change into your swimming suits for a refreshing dip at Hattie Sherwood Beach, just a 2 block walk.
Day 4 – Hike Before You Go
Begin the day enjoying one last breakfast with other guests you have met around the breakfast table. We will be sorry to say good-bye, but hope to see you again soon. Before heading home, you will want to spend part of your morning taking in the sights of Green Lake by hiking one of the many wonderful Green Lake Hiking Trails nearby. Trails vary in length and difficulty.