The McConnell Inn is named for its original owner, John McConnell, who built the home for his family residence. It was completed, after two years of construction, in 1900. When the tradesmen who crafted the woodwork and leaded glass passed away, per the rules of their trade guilds, the plans and tools that they used were destroyed. The original painters signed their work on a beam in the third floor, which guests can view today.
Over the years, the house was bought and sold several times. At one point it was used as a rooming house. Then, in the 1970's, several Ripon College students bought the home and it became known locally as the "Men's Club"